tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 26 09:39:30 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Sorting

lojmitti7wi7nuv ([email protected])

Very clever use of Excel's character functions. Impressive and effective.

I considered the issue you bring up about using "z" instead of a number, but I realized that if I ALWAYS notate EVERY "n" as "n1" and EVERY "ng" as "n2", then there is never an instance in which it matters whether anything else sorts before or after numerals, so long as "1" sorts before "2", since "n" is never followed by anything other than a "1" or a "2" in this field.

Basically, so long as we notate things properly, your system works and my system works. My system has the weakness that I could have a Romanized entry that is correct, but I could fail to notate the sort correctly. Meanwhile, I can tell you that after I've done over 2,500 of these records, I've gotten pretty good at it. Whenever typing a "c", "g", "n", "t" or apostrophe into the sorting field, a little voice in my head sounds, "ah-OOOOO-gah! ah-OOOO-gah!" and the character and those following it get my full attention.

My sort of your example would be [biq2 gaywIz paz].

I don't maintain separate K-E and E-K entries. It's less maintenance and yields fewer opportunities for error to have every Klingon word have only one entry. Of course, that brings up arbitrary decisions about what qualifies as a word. I can find either an entry by word or definition with the search function. I haven't used paper in a long time, not out of any disrespect for it. It just is harder to carry around than an iPad or an iPod Touch, and I can't write as fast as I can type.

Using a database app, the search simply finds what I type in the search field in any field of the database. I find it useful to search by the sort field contents when I'm looking for Klingon entries because q1 and q2 don't pull up as many false positives as "q" and "Q", since the search ignores case.

I do notate derivative words with a checkmark so that if someone asks how many words there are in Klingon, I can give a more accurate (though still arbitrary) number by counting entries that don't have that check mark.

Words that reappear with slightly different definitions from different sources take some notation tricks to keep the various definitions and sources separated. I tend to put the definitions in order of discovery, separated by slashes, and I do the same in the Source field, so I can tell which definition comes from which source.

Animals have a check box indicating that they are an animal (so I can pull up all the animal words without relying on consistency in the wording of the definition), and the rest goes into the definition.

I have a lot of respect for the work you've put into this and the usefulness of the tool you've developed. We likely both deserve medals for our dedication to our geeky task far above and beyond the bounds of normal human behavior.

We have boldly gone where no one (except perhaps a few other people on this list) have gone before. If we were stonemasons, these dictionaries would be cathedrals.