tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 18 05:34:06 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] do any human cultures count like Klingons do?

lojmitti7wi7nuv ([email protected])

I'm curious as to how Roman Numerals would figure into this. It's a zero-free number system that is sort of base five and sort of base ten, since, in earlier versions, you count one, two, three, four, five, five + one, five + two, five + three, five + four, ten, ten + one... and the ten character is basically two five characters (upright over inverted).

Later versions changed it to one, two, three, five - one, five, five + one, five + two, five + three, ten - one, ten, ten + one, with new characters for fifty, a hundred, a thousand... It's an odd notation.

It's no wonder that everybody went to decimal, until computers came along and went binary, which we then summarize as hexidecimal as a compromise between human and computer numbers.

I'm still amazed that Newton came up with his physics before math notation existed. He had to describe everything in spoken language written down.