tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 17 09:29:57 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Expect the unexpected

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Lieven:
> A klingon friend of mine asked for that translation to lable a game board
> of Klin Zha: "Expect the unexpected".
>
> I told him that a literal translation may be possible, but sounds not
> very nice:
>
> {Doch'e' pIHbe'lu'bogh yIpIH.}
> "Expect the thing that one does not expect"
>
> I told him to try a nice Klingon proverb, for instance from TKW. What
> would you suggest?[]

I could only find these:

  reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'
  A great warrior is always prepared. PK

  reH Suvrup tlhIngan SuvwI'
  A Klingon warrior is always prepared to fight. TKW

  bImejDI' reH betleHlIj yItlhap
  Never leave without your bat'telh. TKW

None are quite right, so I created one of my own:

  reH 'elI'jaH yIpIH(taH)!
  Always expect the unexpected visitor!

Note the homonym {pIH} "be suspicious", suggesting {reH yIpIH(taH)} "Always be suspicious" - good advice for any Klingon.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons