tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 30 09:12:58 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] chay' Dochvam DaDel? "Klingon Empire" spray skirt

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

[Noticed that I'd responded to the wrong thread previously. Sorry about that!]

> Is {SIS yoD} really the word for “umbrella”? It seems to use {SIS} as a noun,
> but we have only the verb form. This whole post seems to use {SIS} as a noun.
>
> Am I out of the loop from a major vocabulary addition?

Not a major one, really, but EuroTalk gives us {SIS yoD} for umbrella.
This could be seen as an indication that SIS can indeed be a noun.
However, it could also be be Maltz mucking about ... or perhaps it's a set expression that's been in use for a long time (it would make sense for Klingons to have rain protection of some sort, given their reluctance to getting wet), and can't be broken down word-for-word.

> ‘elHa’meH DujHom yIQtaHvIS mIwlIj DaDelta’. pImqu’ mIwwIj.

qaqbej mIwlIj. Do'Ha' bIQ yoDwIj vIteqmeH mIw QaQ vISovbe'. mep tun yuvtlhe' rur 'ej vItuQmoHHa'meH DopDaj vISIHnIS.
vIlo'pu' 'e' vImev, qabmo'.

jIyoyqa'chugh DujwIj vIyuv 'e' vInID. ghaytan jIQap.