tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 06:23:56 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] [KLBC] Tlinget influence?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Casey Ransberger[] :
>> Does anyone know if the Tlinget language was an influence on the design
>> of tlhIngan Hol?
>>
>> The "Tl" in Tlinget is indistinguishable to my ear the from "tlh" used
>> in Klingon.
>>
>> Some words in the language have a striking similarity in terms of the
>> sound or feel of the words, and it just really struck me while a dear
>> friend was putting me onto some people speaking Tlinket after I'd been
>> going on about Klingon and such.

De'vID:
> Any similarity you see between Klingon and Tlinget is probably a
> coincidence, though it possibly stems from a similarity between Tlinget
> and Mutsun. (I don't know enough about either to comment about
> that.)

I believe the {tlh} phoneme also occurs in Nahuatl and Navaho - both well studied by linguists.  Okrand may have come across them in his class work or reading; apparently it's not uncommon in Amerindian languages.  (OTOH the sound is in Welsh too, spelled "ll" IIRC.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons