tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 22 18:41:24 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Beginner's Grammarian

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh ([email protected])

I was BG many years ago. At that time, Lawrence was not the arbiter of who became BG. Qanqor (the original grammarian — no “B” in front of his “G”) and the former BGs usually put their heads together to decide who was the next BG based upon their experience with the list. The decision was usually made at qep’a’ with discussion among BGs.

Candidates needed to show enough skill to be able to help those with less experience, but were typically new enough at it that the role of being BG intensified their own learning experience. It’s the reverse of the Spiderman mantra: With great responsibility comes great power. You end up with more skill than you started with.

The other BGs watch what the new BG says and jump in whenever an explanation might be misleading or inaccurate or incomplete. It’s always been a communal effort.

It’s not about ego. It’s all about respect for the language and the learning of it. We each find our own path to acquiring skill with the language. There has never been an easy, straightforward path. The challenge is part of the reward.

You are proving that you can do something that few others in the world can do.

Most people would argue that it’s a silly thing, though they mysteriously seem less bothered by people memorizing performance statistics on football players or technical specifications of high performance automobiles. Like that’s more useful in the real world.

Right.

There is no reason to do this. You don’t do it for a reason. You just do it. It proves something of yourself.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably