tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 07 06:56:24 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Sorting

De'vID ([email protected])

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> There is no published, comprehensive Klingon dictionary. Most of us have compiled our own. We don't talk about it a lot.
>
> So, just to open a discussion, I'll give the history of mine, and its unusual features. [...]

Mine also started as an Excel spreadsheet, with a sort field which was
automatically populated, similar to what you and SuStel described. I
later exported it to an XML file, which let me do more with it,
programming-wise. When Android came out, I made a little app for
searching my database. Someone (I forget who) saw it, and asked me to
make it available online. I did, and a lot of people are using it now:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tlhInganHol.android.klingonassistant

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> I lost the pIqaD entries, but I created a new field to sort by. This was not my idea, so I know I'm not the only person to do this. Perhaps ghunchu'wI' suggested it?
>
> The sort field replaces some characters with others in order to force the database to be sorted according to the rules that Okrand uses in TKD:

I actually moved away from automatic sorting because I didn't like
"dictionary order".

For example, if I had the following entries, the dictionary order
would sort it this way:
{bIj}
{bIjatlhbe'chugh vaj bIHegh}
{bIjwI'}

But what I wanted was this order, because I want to group all entries
based on {bIj} together:
{bIj}
  {bIjwI'}
  (other {bIj} entries)
{bIjatlhbe'chugh vaj bIHegh}

(This isn't a real example, it's just to illustrate the point.)

So what I did instead was to assign each entry a unique id (they don't
mean anything, the only thing that matters is that they're in order),
and sort according to that. For example, here are the "b" entries:
https://code.google.com/p/klingon-assistant/source/browse/KlingonAssistant/data/mem-01-b.xml

Entries are annotated with parts of speech, links to synonyms and
antonyms and "see also"s, alternate search tags, the source, and with
Lieven's help, there are also German definitions. For nouns, in
addition to annotating body parts, I also added a few categories like
food, animals, weapons, etc., but currently the software does nothing
with those tags.

--
De'vID