tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 25 12:34:59 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "A Klingon Christmas Carol" trailer

SuStel ([email protected])

On 11/25/2014 3:10 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Okrand has clearly explained to us that the direct object of {jatlh}
is a speech or a story or a language, but the direct object of {ja’}
is another person.

When did he clearly explain to us the correct object of {ja'}? I know he's told us the correct object(s) of {jatlh}.

I don't think Klingon is quite so rigid about the difference between direct and indirect objects. It may be that the prefix trick works because of this lack of distinction. {maHvaD lut luja'}, {lut nuja'} (both apparently "they told us a story"), and {nuja'} ("they told us") may work like this because Klingon doesn't particularly care whether the object you place before the verb is direct or indirect.

To my knowledge we have no canonical example of an explicit noun or pronoun in the object position for {ja'}. We have prefixes only, but those are prefix-tricky.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/