tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 25 12:11:01 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "A Klingon Christmas Carol" trailer

lojmitti7wi7nuv ([email protected])

In Okrand’s defense, perhaps the Klingon actually said {no’wI’} and the translator mistakenly changed “my ancestor(s)” into “our ancestor(s)”. Similarly {no’chaj} is probably correct, since we are talking about multiple ancestors, even if we omit the plural suffix.

But I do think that the Klingon misspoke when he chose the verb {ja’} instead of {jatlh} when he said {qatlh tlhIngan lut luja’ tera’ngan DawI’pu’lI’?}

Okrand has clearly explained to us that the direct object of {jatlh} is a speech or a story or a language, but the direct object of {ja’} is another person. This is consistent with canon and dictionary examples of {ja’chuq}, but no canon or dictionary examples of *{jatlhchuq}. You {jatlh} things that can’t talk back. You {ja’} those who can.

I hope that this is actually declared an error and not used as canon. Making it canon would make it official that the divide between {ja’} and {jatlh} is muddy and useless and we might as well just have one word since they both basically mean the same thing and are interchangeable, especially when we were earlier told that the two were NOT interchangeable.

Maybe it was just a transcription error. Maybe the Klingon actually SAID {jatlh} and the person listening and typing just misunderstood and typed {ja’}.

That’s MY story, and I’m STICKING to it.

I also wonder about the translation of {SutIv’egh’a’?} as “You will enjoy yourselves!?” If I had to say that in English, I’m not sure how I’d inflect it. Especially given cultural overtones, I’d expect a Klingon to actually be expressing puzzlement. “Is it that you enjoy yourselves?” In other words, “How could it be that as a species you enjoy yourselves? One can enjoy honor! One can enjoy a mission! One can enjoy victory! How can one enjoy one’s ’self’?"

Imagine saying this with the same emotion with which Worf, sitting in a hot mud bath, turned to Deanna Troy and sneered, “You mean I’m just supposed to SIT here?"

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Retired Door Repair Guy