tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 11:19:50 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Need a word for ...

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh:
> I have a new favorite word in English, and I really want an equivalent in
> Klingon:  cruft
>
> If we have words for scalene triangle, we need a word for cruft.
> It's such a glorious, perfect word for the warrior's tongue.

    Computinginformal
    noun: cruft
        badly designed, unnecessarily complicated, or unwanted code or software.
        "this removes all unnecessary cruft from Word documents saved as HTML"
    Origin
    1950s (in the sense ‘trash, detritus’): origin unknown.

    Wikipedia
    Cruft is jargon for anything that is left over, redundant and getting in the
    way. It is used particularly for superseded and unemployed technical and
    electronic hardware and useless, superfluous or dysfunctional elements in
    computer software.

We have {tu'HomI'raH} "something useless" (epithet):

  HurDaq tu'HomI'raHvetlh yIlan!
  Get that piece of junk out of here! KCD

TREK TRIVIA:
Three old Klingons arrive on DS9 to pick up Curzon Dax for a trip of vengeance he was bound to with a blood oath against a bandit known as "The Albino". Instead of Curzon they find Jadzia, who feels compelled to take Curzon's place even though the Klingons release her from the oath. Kor is on her side and eventually she manages to impress Koloth with her skills with the bat'leth, but Kang remains adamant. At that point Kor asks him, "Why do you dismiss her like some useless *t'ooho'mIrah*?" (DS9 "Blood Oath")

Cp. "dunsel" which is Starfleet Academy slang for a unneeded part that serves no useful purpose (TOS "The Ultimate Computer").

SEE ALSO:

chatlh 		nonsense, balderdash (n) (slang)
potlh 		consequential thing, something important (n)

veQ  			garbage (n)
DI 			litter, rubble, debris (n)
pIgh 			ruins (n)
pugh 			dregs (n)