tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 03 14:04:58 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] mayQoSavte'mo' jIloStaH.

lojmitti7wi7nuv ([email protected])

jIvangHa’pu’ba’.

Likely because of malware, a lab machine that I maintain took more than half an hour to boot. I’m not exaggerating. I timed it. Actually, I stopped timing it at half an hour. While troubleshooting it, I waited through three reboots.

I just refreshed the image from out-of-the-box (a couple years ago) because I don’t have server space to store newer images, and now, I’m waiting through more than 200 updates. I understand why it is apparently impossible to write software well enough the first time to not require these many perpetual updates, but...

I have another machine that had Deep Freeze installed and managed to freeze itself while rebooting after a big update, and now, it glacially restarts, configures updates, restarts, configures updates, restarts, configures updates… I’ll have to track down the guy who has the image for this one.

None of these machines are out of warranty, but it’s not a hardware problem.

jaj QaQ ‘oHbe’ jajvam’e’.