tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 01 14:09:38 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "Knitting" in Klingon

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh ([email protected])

You have a good point, that {-chugh} turns what would be a sentence into a dependent clause, and {‘e’} is for “Sentence As Object”, not “Dependent Clause As Object”, but you’ve apparently missed the use of {neH} meaning “only”.

The literal translation (if Klingon were a code) would be:

"Well done. I wonder if only I did not see the word-joke."

That makes sense in English, but it doesn’t really make sense in Klingon because, as you point out, the grammar is broken.

I’d go with something like:

nIteb mu’qID vIghovbe’pu’’a’? jISIv.

or

mu’qID vIghovbe’pu’. lughovbe’pu’’a’ latlhpu' je?

Another somewhat controversial grammar issue is whether or not {‘e’} works with “Question As Object”. If that was ever resolved, I don’t remember it. I’m among the doubters that it works.

For me, that’s what makes {SIv} a challenge to use well, except as a simple statement.

Though I suspect I’m about to be corrected and reminded of canon I’ve forgotten...

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably