tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 20 12:42:15 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] tlhoy'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Okrand:
>>>An interior wall (such as a wall separating your living room from
>>>your kitchen) is a {tlhoy'}. An exterior wall (that is, a wall which
>>>separates the inside of a building from the outside) is a {reD}. For
>>>the interior side of an exterior wall, it is quite common to use {tlhoy'}

lojmIttI'wI':
>> But territorial walls are called {tlhoy'}.

gheyIl:
> It seems that {tlhoy'} is a wall/barrier that separates 2 areas which
> are essentially the same (ie. both rooms, both parts of a city, etc)
> Whereas words like {reD} {yergho} separate 2 areas which are substantially
> different from each other (ie. inside & outside, city & countryside, etc)

But not a ship's hull, separating the inside of the ship from the outside, which Klingons call a {Som}.  Whether Klingon ships can also have {tlhoy'mey} - is unknown.  In the Navy we generally referred to "partitions" (which were not water-tight and had doors [yep, like in a house!]) vs. "bulkheads" (which were water-tight and had sealable hatches, though this usage may not have been quite according to the strict dictionary definition of either.

FYI:  US Marines typically refer to all walls as "bulkheads", all doors as "hatches", all floors as "decks" and all ceilings as "overheads" - yes, even in buildings on land! - in order to differentiate themselves from the Army.  Klingons also distinguish the deck {choQ} from the floor (rav}.  {rav'eq} and [pa' beb} both refer to the ceiling but {'aqroS} "top (interior)":

HQ 8.3:  If one were sitting under a table, the (presumably) flat surface above one is termed the {'aqroS} ... It is possible to use {'aqroS} to refer to a ceiling, through the other two terms [i.e. {rav'eq} & {pa' beb}] are more common.

... would work for an "overhead".  (AFAIK there are no examples of any of these used WRT ships.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons