tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 19 08:32:34 2014

[Tlhingan-hol] tlhoy'

lojmitti7wi7nuv ([email protected])

While updating my lexicon, I stumbled into the word {tlhoy'}. The interesting thing that I had not noticed earlier is that {reD} is used for the exterior surface of a wall separating "inside" from "outside", and {tlhoy'} is used to describe the inside surface of any wall (an interior wall, or the interior surface of an exterior wall).

But territorial walls are called {tlhoy'}.

This suggests to me that any territorial wall is perceived to hold out anyone on the other side; that the whole world on this side of the wall is considered to be "inside". Even if the people on the other side of the wall built it.

Or perhaps that it is thought that a wall built by someone else is intended to keep us "inside", so if we want to be free of our constraints, we necessarily have to take down that wall, so that we can get "out", even if the "out" we are seeking to escape to is someone else's fortress.