tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 12 11:50:10 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhorghHa'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Steven Boozer:
> > In KCD Okrand goes into some detail on the distinction between {ghargh}
> (serpent worms as animals) vs. {qagh} (serpent worms alive but with
> seasonings and sauce added, served as food).

Lieven:
> I recently discovered an interesting detail which I like to share at this
> point: I saw an interview with Okrand where he said that the authors of
> TNG had made a small mistake when overseeing a small comma in TKD.
> The entry for {ghargh} says "serpent, worm". (p. 86) (BTW, the english
> glossary also has "worm, serpent")
>
> It was only in the addendum where Okrand introduced the new definition
> "serpent worm" with the new word {qagh}.

I'd always wondered why Okrand felt the need for two words.  AFAIK the actors always pronounced it with a /g/ - i.e. /gakh/ - and Okrand usually accepts Paramount's Klingon.  Still I like the way Okrand turns a "mistake" into fodder for Hol.  It helps make the language seem just a bit less designed.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons