tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 12:42:39 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Translating the past

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

I, like SuStel, had some idea that paq'batlh was done 'in association' with
Marc, not that he was responsible for the translation. The name is a little
off-putting, for example. Now that I've looked at it, I understand what's
going on, and I'm very happy with the interpretation of perfective and
context-based tense that I've had all along. In narratives of the obviously
past events, he uses mostly no type 7, occasionally -lI' or -taH in
sentences that are about the continuation of an action, and -pu' or -ta'
describing actions that happen before the time context of what I'll call
foreground actions. I was actually startled to see how aligned it was with
my understanding, expecting to see more perfective.

I'm looking forward to a thorough reading: maybe I can do an analysis of the
perfective/continuous/no type 7 choices and come up with some empirical
rules that describe the usage.

- Qov