tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 05 11:12:14 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Canon for answering negative questions

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
> What canon do we have indicating whether the answer to a negative question like:
>     'umbe''a' loDHom?
> would be
>     HIja', 'um.
> or
>     ghobe', 'um.
> All I can think of is cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'? which is of course rhetorical.

In the discussion Qov's question generated, I don't believe anyone provided her with what little canon we have WRT answering yes/no questions:

ST3:

Kruge:   vaj Daleghpu'?
  	  (Then you have seen it?)
Valkris: HISlaH, jawwI'
	  (I have, my lord.)
Kruge:   Do'Ha'
	  (Unfortunate.)
Valkris: jIyaj
	  (Understood.)

CK:

Are you a Terran?
  tera'ngan SoH'a'?
Yes, I'm a Terran.
 HIja', tera'ngan jIH.

Are you vacationing on Kronos?
  Qo'noSDaq bIghIQ'a'?
Yes, I'm vacationing on Kronos.
  HIja', Qo'noSDaq jIghIQ.

Do you know anyone here?
  naDev vay' DaSov'a'?
No, I don't know anyone here.
  ghobe', naDev vay' vISovbe'.

Are you transporting tribbles?
  yIHmey DaHIj'a'?
No, I'm not transporting tribbles.
  ghobe', yIHmey vIHIjbe'.

Can I walk there?
  pa' jIyIt'a'?
No.  You must ride the jitney.
  ghobe'.   lupwI' DalIghnIS.

Do you understand the menu, Terran?
  HIDjolev Dayaj'a', tera'ngan?
No, help me!
  ghobe'.  HIboQ!

Do you trust me?
  chovoq'a'?
Yes, I trust you.
  HIja',  qavoq.

Will you escort me to a bar?
  tachDaq choDor'a'?
Yes, come with me.
  HIja',  HItlhej!

Will you drink, Terran?
  bItlhutlh'a', tera'ngan?
Yes.  What is there?
  HIja'.  nuq tu'lu'?

Will you drink another one?
  latlh Datlhutlh'a'?
No, I feel sick.
  ghobe'.  jIroplaw'.

Are warriors red?
  Doq'a' SuvwI'pu'?
No, they are green!
  ghobe' SuD!

HolQeD (12/1998):

Question:  Sum'a' raS?
            Is the table near (me)? (Am I near the table?)
Answer:    HIja'.  Sum raS.
           Yes. The table is near (you).
  or
Answer: 	ghobe'.  jIHDaq Sum raS.
            No.  The table is near me.

As has been mentioned - unless there's something in the {paq'batlh} - there are no examples of a "negative question".  (I also checked examples with the "taq question" {qar'a'}, but I could find no useful answers to those "questions" either.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons