tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 05 07:32:14 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Canon for answering negative questions

lojmitti7wi7nuv ([email protected])

I think there is a fundamental difference between the suffixes {-Ha'} and {-be} that runs parallel to the difference in English between "misunderstand" and "not understand". In English, the first kind of negation is part of the verb itself, while the second is done with a helper word. In Klingon, the {-Ha'} always comes directly after the verb, while {-be'} is a true roving suffix, applied following either the verb root or any of its suffixes to apply its negativity either to the suffix it follows, or to the whole of the root verb and the preceding suffixes.

Evidence also is that if I ask you:

choyajHa'a'?

Then you can answer either (using your definition of a proper yes/no answer):

HIja'. qayajHa'.

or

ghobe'. qayajHa'be'.

But if I ask you:

choyajbe''a'?

then you can answer

HIja'. qayajbe'.

but you can't really answer

*ghobe'. qayajbe'be'.*

We have examples of verbs followed by {-Ha'be'}, but there has never been any indication that it is acceptable to apply {-be'} to another instance of itself. Likely, this could be tantamount to having two verb suffixes of the same type applied at once to the same verb.

So, if I ask you a yes/no question that you can't answer "no" to, then it's not really a yes/no question, is it?

You could use logic to conclude that the {ghobe'} reply would omit the {-be'}, but the simple truth is that language isn't always logical. You can argue that language SHOULD be logical, and it often is, but relying on logic that is independent of canon is risky business. One pronouncement from Okrand and you are left hanging.

{-Ha'} is the kind of negation English creates with "un-" or "mis", while {-be'} is the kind of negation English creates with the helper word "not". As much as I usually fight the idea that Klingon is encoded English, here's one instance in which there is a direct parallel between the languages. I've talked to Okrand about this difference, so I think I understand it pretty well.

So, I think you can ask me {choyaj'a'?} and I can answer it {HIja'} or {ghobe'} and you will be sufficiently and clearly answered, but if I ask you {choyajbe''a'?}, you'd be better served to give the complete statement and forget the idea that it's okay to answer {HIja'} or {ghobe'}. It's a weird enough construction that likely the culture handles it idiomatically, if they do use {HIja'} or {ghobe'}, and being an outsider, it's probably not safe to assume which way the Klingon idiom goes.

We've heard people complaining here about double negatives in English, like "I didn't see nothing," or "I ain't goin' nowhere," but I've read where linguists point out that in other languages, particularly in Africa, a double negative serves as an emphatic negative, which is exactly the intent of these English speakers who make the "mistake" of using double negatives. Likely, this use of double negative is less of a mistake than it is a ghostly shadow of dialect developed by people who learned language from a lineage of people who, at an earlier time, spoke a language for which double negatives are perfectly acceptable as an emphatic negative. It's the kind of thing that a child at the peak age of acting as a language sponge would pick up on. It would become a permanent part of what is normal for them in speech. It is sufficiently fundamental that it would be almost like learning a foreign language to stop doing it.

So, perhaps we could consider that and give them a little grace for their perfect understanding of this slight variation of the English language, instead of judging them of being wrong and deserving correction, or considering them to be ignorant or inferior.

None of this helps me improve my opinion of my distant cousin whose ancestors likely never included anyone who spoke African languages who chided his wife saying, "Woman, you ain't got no good English!" He wasn't joking when he said that, by the way. His ancestry was fully British, with a touch of Cherokee, which, I believe, doesn't use double negatives... Nope. He was just a sexist, putting his wife in what he considered to be her place, which was to shut up and make his dinner.