tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 28 19:42:44 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Verbing objects

Rohan Fenwick ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> Felix puts it quite clearly, recognizing (that's meaning 3) that there are
> three ways this verb is used. (I looked at its etymology in English and
> discovered that it originally came from a French word for reclaiming land!)
> I would translate the meanings thusly:
>
> (1) "Einstein recognized Heisenberg's face." ghov
>
> (2) "Einstein was the first to recognize that time was relative." tlhoj
>
> (3) "The High Council has moved to recognize the new government of Krios
> Prime." laj or possibly lajbej, if I needed to distinguish it from the
> American attitude to the long-serving Cuban government.
>
> The above mainly restates others' arguments but I wanted to post in order to
> emphasize that the insights of our learners and multilingual speakers are
> very valuable in helping us to recognize when we are translating English
> idiom or letting meanings spread in the same direction as English meanings.
> And that's why I hate the noun/verb pair jIH. I wish to burn it with fire.

When you say "burn", do you mean {meQ} or {meQmoH}? :P

To be fair, I can totally get a process whereby Klingon {jIH} technology arose out of a need to monitor a signal in real time - oscilloscopes and so forth - and was only later developed to display more complex video signals. But your point is well taken.

QeS