tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 28 11:43:11 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Verbing objects

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Felix puts it quite clearly, recognizing (that's meaning 3) that there are
three ways this verb is used. (I looked at its etymology in English and
discovered that it originally came from a French word for reclaiming land!)
I would translate the meanings thusly:

(1) "Einstein recognized Heisenberg's face."  ghov

(2) "Einstein was the first to recognize that time was relative." tlhoj

(3) "The High Council has moved to recognize the new government of Krios
Prime." laj or possibly lajbej, if I needed to distinguish it from the
American attitude to the long-serving Cuban government.

The above mainly restates others' arguments but I wanted to post in order to
emphasize that the insights of our learners and multilingual speakers are
very valuable in helping us to recognize when we are translating English
idiom or letting meanings spread in the same direction as English meanings.
And that's why I hate the noun/verb pair jIH. I wish to burn it with fire.

- Qov