tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 22 09:00:09 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 2

Rohan Fenwick ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ghItlhpu' gheyIl, jatlh:
> loQ ghaH qan law' SoH qan puS.{1}
> {1} Can we use pronouns in comparatives? He is more Q than you.

Yup, and exactly like this. In HolQeD 13:1 we have {jIH Doy' law' SoH Doy' puS} "I am more tired than you" (p.10).

taH:
> {1} Can we use comparatives with verbs? He is older than you.

Not only can we do so, but as far as we know there is no other type of word that can appear in such constructions. All examples we have are specifically with verbs of quality (usually translated into English with "be Q" where Q is an adjective), so {qan} "be old" is fine in such a situation.

> ghIraq: neH yItam 'ej yIghIr. DaHjajram {2} maSopchu'qu'.
> {2} Originally I had {DaHram}, but after feedback from
> facebook group, changed to {DaHjaj ram}

nIvbej. Though for practical reasons you should write it as {DaHjaj ram}, i.e., with the space.

> Gorath: Who’s there?
> ghoratlh: pa'Daq 'Iv?

"Who's there?" would be more like {pa' 'Iv}. The locatives {naDev}, {pa'}, {Dat} and {vogh} don't normally use {-Daq}, and with the extra {-Daq} it reads as "Who is in the room?" ({pa'} "room, chamber".)

> Grack: Greetings, young warrior.
> ghIraq: SuvwI’ qan pIvan.

{qan} means "be old". You're looking for {Qup} "be young" here.

Also, do use commas to separate phrases when necessary. {SuvwI' qan pIvan} with no comma is "We salute the old warrior for you". Punctuation in Klingon is sort of ad hoc, and there's no real standard, so I can understand your not using a comma here, but it is a good idea.

> Krek: You never know what could happen to you.
> qIreq: DuqaSlaH vay' 'e' not vISov

{qaS} is only "happen", not "happen to"; we don't have any examples of it with an object that I know of. Maybe recast to something like {qaSbogh wanI''e' not DaSov} (also {DaSov} "you know it", not {vISov} "I know it", since you're translating "*you* never know what could happen to you").

Doj tlhIngan Hol laHlIj'e'. mach QaghmeylIj'e' 'ej roD lughchu' pab Dalo'bogh. qaStaHvIS 'ar DIS DaghojtaH?

QeS