tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 22 08:31:54 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 1

SuStel ([email protected])

On 3/22/2014 10:40 AM, Brad Wilson wrote:
I originally had {yItam} for "be still", but I wanted to emphasize the
movement not just silence, since {yItam} is used later in the story
specifically for silence. I overlooked {yItaD} because I was only
reading it in the "ice" sense.

While {yItaD} is the correct idiomatic choice in this case, be aware that in general when you are commanding someone with a verb of quality, you need to add {-'egh} and {-moH} to it: {yItam'eghmoH} "silence yourself!" This rule comes from KGT. {yItaD} "be frozen!, don't move!" is an idiomatic exception to the rule.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/