tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 13 07:16:45 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Last X and testament?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Fiat Knox:
> The ultimate last will is, of course, Kahless' himself.
>
>> "Kahless left us, all of us, a powerful legacy. A way of thinking
>> and acting that makes us Klingon. If his words hold wisdom and his
>> philosophy is honorable, what does it matter if he returns? What
>> is important is that we follow his teachings. Perhaps the words
>> are more important than the man."

This is good example of {paQDI'norgh} "teachings" which AFAIK Okrand has never used in a sentence.  Does it appear in the {paq'batlh}?

Similar words include:

lurDech 	tradition (n)

  qorDu' lurDechmeyna' pab tlhInganpu'
  With strong [Klingon] family traditions... S13

  nughraj Dun lurDechmeyraj Dun je DIvuvta' 'e' lutul HaDwI'pu'
   'ej vItul jIH.
  The editors and I hope to have respected your rich culture and
  tradition (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom 10)

quH  		heritage (n)

  tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
  He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

KGT 133:  Klingons revere their ancestors, respect their elders, and have unparalleled veneration for heritage.

If the will is an actual physical document that people are looking for, stealing from one another or trying to destroy, you could say something like *{quH ghItlh} initially, and just {ghItlh} thereafter.  I like {quH} as one's heritage is something handed down (or inherited) from one's ancestors (pl. {no'} or sg. {qempa'}).  For that matter, *{qempa' ghItlh} a "(specific) ancestor's manuscript" might work as well.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons