tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 07:13:23 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qay'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, March 10, 2014
>
> Klingon word: qay'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: be a problem, be a hassle
> Source: TKD

  qay'be'
  It's not a problem. No problem! TKD

  qay'be'.  Daq SovlaHbe'taH qIrq.
  [It does not matter.] Kirk cannot know the location. ST6

Qov:  I remember hearing, I *think* from Marc Okrand himself, that {qay'be'} was created in honour of a member of the tech crew on one of the movie sets who said "no problem" in response to all requests. By that logic, it means "I can do that/did that/will do that without difficulty." A friendly boast.

Similar words:

Seng			cause trouble (v)
*QapHa' 		[fail, malfunction, be "out of order"} (v)

Seng 			trouble (n)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons