tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 04:31:08 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] before now

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh ([email protected])

{DaH} as a noun means “array, bank”. If you use {DaH} in a sentence in a position grammatically suggesting a noun, that’s what a native speaking Klingon would assume that you meant. chuvmey cannot be used as nouns.

{DaHjaj} is a noun. {DaH} is not.

I think your suggestion that {wej} implies intent is without evidence. The grammar has verb suffixes dedicated to implying intent. Why use chuvmey for that? I think that the examples offered you using {wej} are perfect.

You struggle to find a shade of meaning that would disqualify {wej} from conveying what you want. If someone wants to say, “I’ve never finished a manuscript before,” to highlight the fact that they have just now finished one for the first time, just say:

{wa’Hu’ ghItlh vIqonpu’be’. DaHjaj vIqonta’!}

It’s common practice to use more than one sentence in Klingon to express things for which English would use one longer, more complex sentence. Meanwhile, in this example, even English is clearer with more than one sentence. “I’ve finished this manuscript today. I’ve never done this before.” In Klingon, we’d just use different time stamps to refer to times when different statements are accurate.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably