tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 22 12:53:53 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] ghargh'a' HoD'a' je -- cha'DIch

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> Hmmm...Klingon seem to work better in short, choppy sentences. Maybe
> that ought to be my "guiding star" from now on.

I'd say that's a very good guiding star you've chosen :)

English uses a wide range of adpositions, determiners, particles and other {chuvmey} to press a lot of information into a short number of sentences.
This tends to be more difficult in Klingon. This can seem like a weakness, but at the same time, there's no reason we should think of low sentence counts as particularly virtuous.

A good example of this comes from Power Klingon, where somebody instructs his pet to bite another person's leg off:

"Bit his/her leg off!"
{'uSDaj chop! chev!}
"Bit his/her leg! Separate it!"

The English translation uses one sentence where Klingon uses two, but both effectively communicate the same message.
(The sentence above uses Clipped Klingon; otherwise, it would presumably have gone {'uSDaj yIchop! yIchev!}.)

> Sentence 1:
> {*Jeoffrey* ta' HIvje'Daq tar lIchlu'ta'}
> lit.  "Into King Jeoffrey's cup someone purposefully poured poison.""
>
> Sentence 2:
> { *dwarf*'e' lupum Hoch}
> "All accuse the dwarf."

majQa'! I was going to suggest something using {... net Har.} ("it is/was believed that ..."), but I think I like your translation better!