tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 21 05:02:52 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] lung

De'vID ([email protected])

André Müller:
>>> We don't know how big Klingon gharghmey can be.

De'vID:
>> Actually, we do. The word {ghargh} originally referred to the giant
>> worm- or serpent-like creature on the Genesis Planet which attacked
>> and wrapped itself around Kruge. [...]
>> So {ghargh} can, with no suffix, refer to something comparable in size
>> to a Klingon.

Gaerfindel:
> {-'a'} means more than just size, though; even I, a mere beginner, know
> that.

Indeed. A {mIv'a'} might be much smaller than a {mIv}. A baby dragon,
of the type described by SuStel, would be a {ghargh'a'} even if it's
smaller than something else which is a {ghargh}.

Gaerfindel:
> My purpose in using {ghargh'a'} instead of just {ghargh} is partly
> that Oberyn is know as the "Red Viper".  Vipers are so much more deadly that
> other {gharghmey}, and deadly is a trait Klingons respect, no?

Are vipers actually more deadly than regular {gharghmey}? I think a
Klingon would beg to differ. The {ghargh} that attacked Kruge would
probably eat vipers for breakfast.

I think if you want to emphasise that vipers are a venomous or
particular deadly sort of snake, there are more appropriate tools than
{-'a'}. {tar ghargh}, for example, or even {tar'a' ghargh}.

--
De'vID