tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 21 04:48:37 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] lung

Gaerfindel ([email protected])

On 6/21/2014 7:11 AM, De'vID wrote:
André Müller:
It depends on where you draw the arbitrary line
between N and N-'a'. After all, it's just a suggestion. Interpretation
depends on the speaker. After all, the meaning we got from Okrand is
"serpent, worm". We don't know how big Klingon gharghmey can be.
Actually, we do. The word {ghargh} originally referred to the giant
worm- or serpent-like creature on the Genesis Planet which attacked
and wrapped itself around Kruge. (This one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S03-kruge_fights_the_worms.png )

So {ghargh} can, with no suffix, refer to something comparable in size
to a Klingon.

{-'a'} means more than just size, though; even I, a mere beginner, know that. My purpose in using {ghargh'a'} instead of just {ghargh} is partly that Oberyn is know as the "Red Viper". Vipers are so much more deadly that other {gharghmey}, and deadly is a trait Klingons respect, no?

~quljIb