tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 21 04:42:01 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] ghargh'a Doq Hud'a' je -- wa'DIch

De'vID ([email protected])

Gaerfindel:
> I'm sure that by now everyone has seen the duel between Gregor "The
> Mountain" Clegane and Oberyn "The Red Viper" Martell.  That's exactly what
> I'm going to *attempt* to describe in Klingon.  Wish me luck!

pongmeychaj vIghovbe'. chaH 'Iv? tera'ngan SuvwI''a'pu' chaH'a'?
tlhIngan SuvwI''a'pu' neH vIbuS.

Gaerfindel:
> "Listen!  Listen, my friends, all of you!  I shall present a tale both great
> and tragic.  A tale to excite.  A tale to inspire.  I present to you the
> tale of the duel between the Red Viper and the Mountain!"
>
> {HI'Ij!  HI'Ij jupwi'pu' Hoch!  may''a' bom 'IQqu' Samuch.  SeymoH bom.
> pIlmoH bom.  Haychu'ta' ghargh'a' Doq HuD'a' je bom Samuch!}

There's canon precedence to use {Qoy} for "listen" as a call to
attention: {Qoy qeylIS puqloD...}.

{Hoch} precedes a plural noun to mean "all", {Hoch tlhInganpu'} "all Klingons".

A tale would be a {lut} unless it's actually a song or chant, so I'm
not sure if you actually mean {bom}.

I'd translate "a tale both great and tragic" using two verbs, rather
than attaching {-'a'} to {may'}, which in any case modifies it to mean
"a song of a massive battle" rather than "a great song of a battle".
Also, a tale can {'IQmoH}, but can it be {'IQ}? {Dunbogh 'ej
'IQmoHbogh lut}, for example.

I'd drop the {-'a} off of {ghargh} and {HuD} as well. If you just add
{-'a'} to everything, it just becomes meaningless, and you'd be left
without a means to describe something that's actually deserving of the
suffix.

--
De'vID