tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 11:20:18 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'arDaq

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM, SuStel <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is the only one that actually violates the N-N rule.
> [...]
> This one seems to actually go out of its way to violate the rule...
> A direct translation of the English would have been {tel wovwI'mey}
> "wing lights." The {-Daq} is not only—apparently—ungrammatical, it's also
> completely unnecessary.

Because a locative suffix here seems neither helpful nor proper, I've
always interpreted this word as a compound "wing-location". The lights
brighten the area of the wing, not the wing itself. I do recognize
that this interpretation could be seen as a little strained.

-- ghunchu'wI'