tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 08:38:51 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'arDaq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

SuStel:
> There is no such rule that I'm aware of. You can't have a type 5 noun
> suffix on the first noun of a noun-noun construction, but there's no rule
> about it migrating.

lojmitti7wi7nuv:
>> This is an odd rule since it's non-trivial trying to come up with an
>> example where you'd be tempted to put the Type 5 on the first noun.
>> Maybe I've just been following this rule so long that I can't think of
>> a reason to want to break it...

SuStel:
> Krankor has been known to break this rule with his {mIvDaq yIH} "tribble
> in a helmet" (i.e., cat in the hat). Okrand also breaks the rule on the
> Bird of Prey poster, though I can't recall the exact phrases. I've seen
> lots of people on this list break the rule in the same way, so it's not
> non-trivial.[]

FYI, examples of {-Daq} in the BOP Poster:

  tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
  1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World

  cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu')
  2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck)

  muDDaq 'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh: jav
  Atmospheric Take-Off/Landing Thrusters - 6

  nISwI' talmey: cha' (telDaq lujomlu')
  Disruptor Cannon – 2 (Wing Mounted)

  nISwI': cha' chang'engmey (telDaq lujomlu', nItebHa' lubaHlu')
  Disruptor - 2 Pairs (Wing Mounted, Fire Linked)

  telDaq wovmoHwI'mey
  Wing Lights

It occurs to me that the grammar of brief labels, chapter headings, isolated phrases, etc. may be different than that of full sentences and, especially, connected literary prose.  Perhaps more a difference of style.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons