tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 03:23:03 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pa'

De'vID ([email protected])

[+zrajm]

De'vID:
>> In TKD {pa'} is defined as "room". It is used to translate "chamber"
>> on the KBoP poster ({cha'puj pa'} = "dilithium chamber"). In KGT, it's
>> defined as "enclosed area" and marked as "(slang)" in the K-E side,
>> but not the E-K side.
>>
>> So the "(slang)" in the definition above applies only to the last
>> definition, though the way it's written leaves this unclear. The
>> "source" is also misleading, as TKD defines it only as "room".

SuStel:
> Since {pa'} isn't mentioned in the section on slang so far as I can
> remember, since it only appears as slang on one side of the word lists, and
> since "enclosed area" more or less means "room" anyway, I'm inclined to
> believe this isn't slang at all.

I just double-checked this with KGT (well, the ebook version): you are
correct, it does not actually say "(slang)" in either side of KGT.

My earlier comment was based on Zrajm's electronic word lists. In the
K-E word list in the actual KGT, {paw'} "butt heads (slang)"
immediately precedes {pa'} "enclosed area", into which the "(slang)"
annotation had apparently been copied by mistake in Zrajm's version of
the list. So {pa'} for "enclosed area" isn't slang at all, and both
qurgh's and Zrajm's databases should be corrected to show this.

--
De'vID