tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 02:37:27 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'arDaq

De'vID ([email protected])

Qov:
>> I imagine that at some point I have said something like one of the
>> following in conversation, completely unaware that I was doing anything odd.
>>
>> ?quS 'arDaq nav vIlannIS? - How many chairs do I need to place paper on?
>> ?HoH 'armo' bortaS wISuq?- How many killings will we get vengeance for?
>> ?nuv 'arvaD Soj wIje'nIS? - How many people do we need to buy food for?

Voragh:
> Based on no canon whatsoever, I would place the suffix on the noun:
>
>   ?quSDaq 'ar nav vIlannIS?
>   ?HoHmo' 'ar bortaS wISuq?
>
> [Don't forget the verb {noD} "retaliate, seek revenge":  ?HoHmo' 'ar manoD?]
>
>   ?nuvvaD 'ar Soj wIje'nIS?
>
> I don't have time to do more searching, but have we seen any of the other question words used with these suffixes?

In TKD 6.4, only {nuq} and {'Iv} are said to occupy the place that
would have been taken by the answer in the sentence. It is said of
{'ar} that it follows the noun to which it refers (which can't be
plural). There's no hint that it behaves anything like {nuq} or {'Iv}.
Not all the question words are nouns.

Since {quS} is the noun in {quS 'ar} "how many chairs", to me it's
fairly clear that "at/on how many chairs" is {quSDaq 'ar} and not
*{quS 'arDaq}.

Qov:
>> These two feel weirder, especially the last. I would omit the –‘e’
>> ?tera’Daq be’ ‘IH ‘ar tu’lu’? – How many beautiful women are there on Earth?
>> ?muj mu’tlhegh ‘ar’e’ qonbogh Qov?

No problem accepting {tera'Daq be' 'IH 'ar tu'lu'}, though I'd also
accept {tera'Daq be' 'ar 'IH tu'lu'}. The latter follows the letter of
TKD more closely, since it says that adjectival verbs immediately
follow the noun, whereas of {'ar} it merely says it follows the noun.

I'd have put the suffix {-'e'} on the noun {mu'tlhegh} rather than on
the question word {'ar} following the noun, as in {muj mu'tlhegh'e'
'ar qonbogh Qov}.

--
De'vID