tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 13:11:35 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'arDaq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
> I'd do an archive search but ... website search sucks.
> Have we ever discussed the extension of 'ar beyond subject and object?
> We have the examples:
>
>   nIn 'ar wIghaj?
>   Haw'pu' yaS 'ar?

Here are the examples I know of:

'ar  how many?  how much?

  Haw'pu' yaS 'ar
  How many officers fled? TKD

  nIn 'ar wIghaj
  How much fuel do we have (left)? TKD/CK

  Huch 'ar DaneH?
  How much money do you want? TKD

  Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
  How much do you want for that? TKD

  mughoS 'avwI' 'ar
  How many guards are coming? CK

'arlogh  how many times? (st.k)

  'arlogh Qoylu'pu'
  How many times has (someone) heard (it)?
  How many times has it been heard?
   (i.e. What time is it?) [st.k 2/99]

  'arlogh wab Qoylu'pu'?
  How many times has someone heard the sound?
  How many times has the sound been heard?
   (i.e. What time is it?) [st.k 2/99]

  qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?
  Recently, how many times has someone heard it?
   (i.e. What time is it?) [st.k 2/99]

[Any examples of either in the paq'batlh? I haven't seen any.]

> I imagine that at some point I have said something like one of the
> following in conversation, completely unaware that I was doing anything odd.
>
> ?quS 'arDaq nav vIlannIS? - How many chairs do I need to place paper on?
> ?HoH 'armo' bortaS wISuq?- How many killings will we get vengeance for?
> ?nuv 'arvaD Soj wIje'nIS? - How many people do we need to buy food for?

Based on no canon whatsoever, I would place the suffix on the noun:

  ?quSDaq 'ar nav vIlannIS?
  ?HoHmo' 'ar bortaS wISuq?

[Don't forget the verb {noD} "retaliate, seek revenge":  ?HoHmo' 'ar manoD?]

  ?nuvvaD 'ar Soj wIje'nIS?

I don't have time to do more searching, but have we seen any of the other question words used with these suffixes?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons