tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 06:58:20 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Translating some (GPS-like) phrases

SuStel ([email protected])

On 6/16/2014 1:48 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:
From: Russ Perry Jr. [mailto:[email protected]]
1) "Please make a course correction."

2) "Please Make a Right Turn"

3) "Recalculating"

I did tell him Klingon devices, much like Klingons, would likely
not use "please", but anyone have any suggestions?

You're right about Please. Klingons just give commands. We don't
know the idiomatic way to say "turn right" in Klingon, but here is
the way I would do it.

1. He yIchoHmoH. =  Change course.  (we know this one for sure)

2. nIHDaq yItlhe'. = Turn to the right side.

3. SImqa'lI' = In the process of calculating again.

For these, consider using clipped Klingon. Command and comments like
these would often be clipped.

1. He choHmoH

2. nIHDaq tlhe'

3. SImqa'lI'

Additional thoughts:

2. Since there seems to be some separation between the ideas of going
"to" a place and being "at" a place, I might render this as {nIH
yIghoSchoH} "start going to the right!" or, clipped, {nIH ghoSchoH}.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/