tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 14 09:15:52 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Canon surrounding order of pre-OVS elements

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

The level one course doesn't include the noun-noun construction, so I can't specifically get into that aspect, but avoiding unintended noun-noun constructions is definitely a matter of clarity.

-----Original Message-----
From: De'vID [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: June 14, 2014 4:17
To: tlhIngan Hol mailing list
Cc: Robyn Stewart
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Canon surrounding order of pre-OVS elements

Qov:
> Would anyone be uncomfortable with me telling beginners that the
> information we have suggests that the timestamp should precede the
> noun with the type 5, but that when it improves clarity, the timestamp
> might follow, as the adverb does in the complex phrase above about the emblem being emblazoned on hulls?

Not only can it improve clarity, sometimes it can also change the meaning.

Qov:
> My examples – anyone take issue?
>
> DaHjaj ‘etlhlIjmo’ maQap.
> wanI’vammo’ DaHjaj bInoy.

I think they're good examples to illustrate the point that the order can change the emphasis or meaning.

DaHjaj 'etlhlIjmo' maQap.
Because of your today-sword, we succeed.
or: Today, because of your sword, we succeed.

One might interpret the sentence the first way if, for example, yesterday you used a meqleH and only fought your opponent to a draw, but today you switched to a betleH and won. It's all about the context.

'etlhlIjmo' DaHjaj maQap.
Because of your sword, we succeed today.

wanI'vammo' DaHjaj bInoy.
Because of this event, you are famous today. (The event might've happened on any prior date.)

DaHjaj wanI'vammo' bInoy.
Because of this today-event, you are famous. (The event occurs or occurred today.)

--
De'vID