tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 11 06:43:56 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] No Small Thing

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

I answered this before Felix's answer came through, but you can see the
commonality in the answers:

* We both went straight to the fact that there is no "thing" involved here,
and chose the verb ram. English talks about things when there are none
because its stative verbs don't stand on their own very well.
* We both understood that respect isn't really a thing either, it's an
action so chose the verb vuv.

Felix went one further and drilled into the context of the statement. What
was really meant by it? yIqImqu' -- Heed him well. That is how to translate
Klingon.

I think maybe I have an advantage over some Klingon speakers in translating,
because I live in a bilingual country.  Every day for my whole life I have
seen things written in two languages, translated by professionals, so I have
a strong sense of how much it is okay to change the words in order to
translate the meaning into something that is comfortable in the target
language.

- Qov