tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 13:29:15 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Objects with -moH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
>> Something that IS on the syllabus are the words meQ and ghor, and I  >
>> want to tell the students how to use them.
>>
>> TKD would suggest that usage is:
>> meQ veQ. – The garbage burns.
>> veQ meQmoH loDHom. – The boy burns the garbage.
>>
>> But canon says:
>> Ha’DIbaHmey meQ Sop.
>> to’waQ meQ vutwI’
>> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.
>>
>> pIpyuS DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS.
>> pel’aQDaj ghorpa’
>>
>> Three completely different uses for meQ and two for ghor.

SuStel:
> Have we ever seen {ghor} used to mean that the subject is broken?

pIpyuS yIghor
Break a pipius!
[TKW 185:  a command to tell someone, often a child, to get started on or to devote more effort to a project.]

pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. TKW

pel'aQDaj ghorpa'
before it breaks its shell (KGT 124)

pel'aQDaj ghorpa' qama' yIHoH
Before it breaks its shell, kill the prisoner!
(i.e. "Kill the prisoner now, while you've got a chance") KGT

Not relevant to the discussion, but I see that we have another verb {wItlh} meaning "break (something) off":

KGT 99:  A diner transfers a portion to his or her plate ... by simply grabbing the desired quantity of food with a hand... If necessary, two hands may be used to break off ({wItlh}) a slab of the desired fare.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons