tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 09:12:29 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, June 02, 2014
>
> Klingon word: lI'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: transmit data (to a place)

Qov:
>> I adore how when I upload pictures to Facebook it says lI'lI' in the
>> spots where the pictures will appear, during the upload.

vIlI'lI'
I am transmitting (the data). TKD

TKD 42:  This word implies that data are in the process of being transmitted, but that there is a finite amount of data, so there will be a definite end to the transmission. The fact that the verb {lI'} and the suffix {-lI'} are identical in sound is purely coincidental, so far as can be determined.

yIlI'
transmit it! TKD

De' yIlI'.  DaH!
Transmit data. Now! ST3

Cf. also {lab} "transmit data (away from a place)":

labbeH
(The device) is ready to transmit data. TKD

HablI', Su': labbeH.
Ready to transmit. ST3

labmeH 'evnagh Se' lo' tlhIngan QumwI'
A Klingon communicator sends a signal through subspace radio. S19

Marc Okrand jIH.  De' potlh vIlab.
I am Marc Okrand and I bring you an important message. ('U'-MTK)

ghe'naQ Daqvo' QInvam wIlab.
We will place a homing device transmitting this message at the site of the opera. ('U'-MTK)

Similar words:

naw' 		access (v)
ngeH 		send (v)
Qum		communicate (v)