tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 31 07:43:20 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIghon DuQwI' pogh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, July 31, 2014
>
> Klingon word: lIghon DuQwI' pogh
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: glavin, Ligonian spike glove

"A traditional weapon on planet Ligon II, used in ritual combat. Resembling a gauntlet-length oversized glove, the end of the glavin has a large, vicious hook and is covered with poison-tipped spines. Tasha Yar fought Yareena with glavins [in 2364]."  [STE 114: TNG "Code of Honor"]

KCD "simply places it in the category of Weapons (included with all of the other Klingon weapons, and talks about the {DuQwI'} part of it. It never mentions the planet Ligon, except in the name {lIghon DuQwI' pogh}." (SuStel)

"It looks like a glove, stood straight up, finger-area toward the ceiling, in the ceremonial room used for the nentay, vItHay', and other rituals, filled with spikes. Unfortunately, the description just says Ligonian spike glove." (KCD, via qoror)

Worf uses a large, chain- and armor-covered glove in his daily holodeck Klingon Calisthenics Program (TNG "Where Silence Has Lease").  (There's a photo of part of one in TKW 204 on the wall of Worf's quarters on the Enterprise.)  K'Ehleyr later used it too (TNG "The Emissary"); there's a photo of K'Ehleyr wearing it in TKW (p.16).

KGT 58:  A warrior's glove ({pogh}), also made of skin [{DIr]}, had wide band around the wrist and sharp protrusions at the knuckles. If there was a special name for these protrusions, it is lost; they are now called simply {DuQwI'mey} (spikes). The gloves did not have fingers. They were designed to protect the palm, back of the hand, and wrist, but to not interfere with the mobility of a warrior's fingers. Modern gloves ({poghmey}) generally adhere to this design.

KGT 141-2:  Thus {lIghon wa'} (Ligon I) is the planet orbiting closest to the Ligon sun; {lIghon cha'} (Ligon II) is the second closest ... Ligon has sometimes been called {lIghonya'} in addition to {lIghon} ...

"Ligon II is the planet where Tasha Yar fought Lutan's wife Yareena in a duel to the death in [TNG] "Code of Honor." ... It is the source of the {lIghon DuQwI' pogh} 'Ligonian spike glove,' which is the weapon Yar and Yareena use in their duel.  Klingons apparently have had contact with Ligon II, directly or indirectly, because the weapon shows up in the occasional Klingon home in television shows (they've got the prop lying around...)"  (SuStel)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons