tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 16 07:48:04 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yIn

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon word: yIn
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: live

"[Okrand] signed my KGT {tlhIngan yIn DayIn}. I don't remember now what he said afterwards, but I remember taking it as a hint that this was not completely grammatical but could be said." [DloraH, 1/2006]

"For example, I've used the word {yIn} transitively. "You live a Klingon life." That's perfectly acceptable in Klingon. It's perfectly acceptable in English, too, but it is not obvious from the short definition in the dictionary that that would be an okay thing to do." [Okrand to charghwI', HQ 7.4]

jIyIn
I live. KLS

bIyIntaH 'e' Daqotlhbe'
[You don't deserve to live (i.e. keep on living) untr.] PK

SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj
May the spirit of Kahless live within you! PK

yIntaHvIS qIrq DuHbe' roj
There will be no peace as long as Kirk lives. (ST5 notes)

yIn pagh yInbe'
"To be or not to be." ST6
(changed to the "more Klingon-sounding" {taH pagh taHbe'} at actor Christopher Lee's request)

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS
Better to die on our feet than live on our knees. ST6

yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu'
this sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the Unforgettable. S8

yIntaHbogh tlhIngan Soj tlhol jablu'DI' tIvqu'lu'
Klingon food is best when served fresh and live. S21

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS
Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.
("Dying while standing is preferable to living while kneeling"). TKW

yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'
Survival must be earned. TKW

yIntaHbogh qagh jablu'DI' reH nIvqu' qagh
Gagh is always best when served live. TKW

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
Be the first to journey to the 24th century. STX

yIntaH qIrq 'e' vIneH. DaSwIj bIngDaq latlhpu' vItap.
Kirk I want alive. The rest I will grind beneath my boot. (STConst p.232)

bImej 'ej bIyIn PB

yIntaHwI'pu' vImIlHa'moH jIH, Heghpu'wI'pu' DamIlHa'moH SoH
I will restore honor among the living, you will restore honor among the dead. PB

Similar words:

jubbe' 	be mortal (v)
jub 		be immortal (v)
Hegh 		die (v)

Dab		reside in/at, dwell in/at (v)
toq 		be inhabited (v)

yIn  		life (n)
Hegh 		death (n)
jatyIn  	*jat'yIn* (spiritual possession) (n)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons