tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 14:37:28 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] ghargh, Hod je -- vaghDIch

nIqolay Q ([email protected])

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> {HoD} means "Captain".

reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'.

> I'd suggest:
>
> {wa'logh qIptaHvIS HuD, wejlogh qIplaH ghargh.}
>
> The point here is that the serpent can strike three times while the mountain strikes once.
>
> The difference between {-DI'} and {-taHvIS} is subtle, but important in this example. {-DI'} implies an instant when something happens. {-taHvIS} implies a duration while something happens. In this case, the mountain's instant is a duration for the serpent, and while that duration occurs, it can strike three times.

The original text doesn't necessarily imply that the Viper's three
attacks are occuring while the Mountain is making a single attack,
though. I interpreted it simply as meaning that whenever the Mountain
attacks, the Viper attacks three times in response. Or more simply,
that the Viper is attacking three times as often as the Mountain.