tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 07:23:56 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: paw

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, July 07, 2014
>
> Klingon word: paw
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: arrive

Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq
Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos. PK

paw Dujmey
The ships arrive. KGT

pawpu' 'avwI' paghDIch
the zeroth guard has arrived KGT

tagha' pawpu' meb 'ach pumDI' ('etlh) Heghpu' qagh
The guest finally arrived, but by then the gagh had died. (st.k 11/99)

SaqSub'e' muSHa'bogh pawmeH leng qeylIS HuDmey Sal ghIq ghIr
And Kahless traveled to his beloved Saq'sub, over the mountains PB

ghIq SIqralDaq molor HoS waw' lupawmeH bIQtIq HeH juS SuvwI' ghom
The band of warriors then went past the shore to the river Skral, to Molor's seat of power. PB

chalDaq DapawmeH wutlhDaq bInejnIS
To reach the heavens, you must seek underground PB

Dung qo' pawDI' qeylIS qorDu' je ta''e' neH bop bommey.
Upon reaching the upper world, no one could speak of anything, but the deeds of Kahless and his kin. PB

'Iw bIQtIqvo' toS SuvwI' yoH puH QaDDaq paw
The fearless warrior climbs out of the blood onto dry land. PB

molor chalqach 'avlu'bogh pIrmuS lupawta'
they reach the base of Molor's guarded tower PB

quqtaHvIS wanI'vam raQDaq pawta' qotar qempa'QeH je
At the same time Kotar and the *Qempa'keh* arrive at the camp. PB

HQ 7.4 p9:  {Duj vIpaw} means "I arrive at the ship"; {DujDaq jIpaw} means "I arrive on the ship", that is, "I arrive via the ship" or something like that. And it would probably be okay to say {DujDaq vIpaw} for "I arrive at the ship". But {Duj jIpaw} strikes me as odd.

DloraH commented:

  The destination that one is arriving at is the direct object of {paw}
  (with or without {-Daq}). The indirect object in the header with {-Daq}
  is the medium in/on which the one is moving:  {DujwIjDaq Qo'noS vIpaw}
  "I arrived at Kronos via my ship."

Similar words:

chol			close in,  get closer,  come nearer (v)
Duv			advance (v)
ghoS			proceed, come toward, approach (v)
ngeQ 			bump into, collide with (v)
tlhetlh		progress (v)

N.B. Don't confuse {paw} "arrive" with {paw'} "collide":

KGT 157f.:  The word literally means "collide" and is usually (though hardly exclusively) heard when referring to vehicles. In both its literal and slang usages, {paw'} takes a plural subject ... To refer to something in motion colliding with something stationary, a different verb, {ngeQ} (bump into, collide with) is used, as in {raS ngeQ tera'ngan} ("The Terran bumps into the table").

  paw' Dujmey
  The ships collide. KGT

  paw' lupDujHommey
  The shuttlecraft collide. KGT

  paw' tlhIngan SuvwI'pu'
  The Klingon warriors butt heads (i.e. collide). KGT

  paw' tera'nganpu'
  The Terrans collide (i.e. butt heads). KGT

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons