tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 15:46:19 2014

[Tlhingan-hol] Parts 3 & 4 of the untitled story

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

This continues the story I wrote to review the beginner level vocabulary.
It contains only grammar and vocabulary required for the level one test,
which excludes all type-7 suffixes, making it a little choppy, but I hope
still grammatical. An English translation follows each of the two parts. I
will recommend that beginners translate it both ways, to work on both
familairity with and recall of the vocabulary and grammar.

Someone complained last time about the font, so I have stripped formatting.

3. ghogh vIQoy.
paw jupwI', loDnI'wI' joq.
pa' 'el ghom.
SaH jupwI', loDnI'wI' je 'ej tlhej be'nI'wI'.
quSqoq legh be'nI'wI'.
qej qabDaj.
jatlh be'nI', <qatlh Dochvetlh'e' Daghaj?>
jIjatlh, <vItI'laH. Doj. DatemlaHbe'.>
jatlh be'nI', <wejpuH, jIQochbej! 'oHmo' bIchepbe'bej.
QIv 'ej QIp. vImuS.>
jIjatlh, <be'nI'wI',  bImejnIS. Qu'vam vIbuSnIS.>
jatlh be'nI', <qetlh Qu'lIj.>
tlheD ghaH.

3. translated
I hear a voice.
My friend and/or my brother arrives.
The group enters the room.
My friend and my brother are present, and my sister is with them.
My sister sees the purported chair.
Her face is mean.
My sister says, Why do you have *that thing*?
I say, I can repair it. It's impressive. You cannot deny it.
My sister says, Charming. I definitely disagree. You will certainly not
prosper because of it.
It's inferior and stupid. I hate it.
I say, my sister, you need to leave. I need to focus on this task.
The sister says, Your task is dull.
She leaves.

4.
quSqoq vIDelnIS.
tera'Daq pagh rurqu'.
Sar. Doq 'ej SuD.
qIj bIng.
ngo' 'a Dajqu'.
jatlh loDnI', <mayajbe'. bIQIjnIS.>
jIjatlh, <pegh 'oH.>
jatlh loDnI'wI', <jItamchu'.  jI'Ip. chovoqlaHba'.>
jatlh jup, <vIpegh. 'IpwIj DawuvlaH. jIngoy'.>
jIQub.
jIjatlh, <Duj 'oHlaw'. mulengmoHlaH.>
Hagh loDnI'wI'.
jatlh, <QaQ lutvetlh.>

4.translated
I need to describe the so-called chair.
It precisely resembles nothing on Earth.
It is varied. It's red/orange and blue/green/yellow.
The area underneath is black.
It is old, but very interesting.
Brother says, We don't understand. You need to explain.
I say, It's a secret.
My brother says, I will be completely silent. I swear. You can obviously
trust me.
The friend says, I will keep it secret. You can rely on my oath. I am
responsible.
I think.
I say, I think it's a vessel. It can cause me to travel.
My brother laughs.
He says, That story is good.
I say, It's not funny. I tell the truth.
My friend says, We don't need to debate. I believe you.
I say, You are a true friend.
My brother turns serious.
He says, I'm willing to listen, but it's very small. How does it work?
I say, I will show it.
I sit down in the "chair."
My body presses down.
Everyone waits.
A minute occurs.
Nothing happens.
I become sad.

Please call out anything you would consider questionable usage. I don't want
to be granted artistic licence here.