tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 02 08:10:32 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Too short

SuStel ([email protected])

On 7/2/2014 10:37 AM, Lieven wrote:
Am 02.07.2014 16:23, schrieb [email protected]:
There's still the issue [...]
I suspect that a Klingon listening to what you've said would notate it
as:

HoS. val. vaQ 'ej Duj Doj ra'mo' vIqIH vIneH.

And in such a case, it's odd that {vaQ} is conjoined with the sentence
that follows it and not those that preceded it.

You're right, punctuation cannot be heard. But you can still do an
acustic break when speaking:

HoS. val. vaQ.

And this is exactly what I'm arguing against. The period indicates this is a full stop; your tone drops and you come to a rest, albeit brief. There is no vocal continuation from one word to the next. The ideas are being verbally separated.

It's the difference between

   He is strong.
   He is clever.
   He is aggressive.

and

   He is strong, clever, aggressive.

The first one is saying a bunch of separate things. The second is saying one thing.

I wish I knew how pitch can be indicated in text. Lemme try my own notation.

   / Pitch goes from low to high.
   \ Pitch goes from high to low.
   ¯ Pitch remains high through syllable.
   _ Pitch remains low through syllable.
   — Pitch remains mid-range through syllable.
   . Speaker pauses slightly.
   … Speaker pauses for a longer time.

I'll put the indication of pitch after each syllable. This is what I hear.

   tlha'a HoD vIHo'. HoS. val. vaQ. Duj Doj ra'. vIqIH vIneH.
   tlha'¯a¯HoD—vI—Ho'\…HoS\…val\…vaQ\…Duj—Doj—ra'\…vI—qIH¯vI—neH\

   tlha'a HoD vIHo': HoS, val, vaQ, Duj Doj ra'. vIqIH vIneH.
   tlha'¯a¯HoD—vI—Ho'—.HoS¯.val¯.vaQ¯.Duj¯Doj¯ra'\…vI—qIH¯vI—neH\

Does that help at all?

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/