tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 02 04:37:14 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Too short

SuStel ([email protected])

On 7/2/2014 3:16 AM, Lieven wrote:
Am 01.07.2014 21:42, ghItlh SuStel:
When spoken aloud, the above has a pause where the colon is, but it
doesn't sound like you're finished with an idea. The commas are slight
pauses, but leading into the next word. Only at the periods do you
finish your idea and rest.
[...]

So: use small FORMAL sentences, but group them into single ideas.

That's true what SuStel says. I like to add the conjunction part,
because that easily creates longer sentences, without making them really
"long". In your example, it's easy, without changing the word order but
by exchanging commas by conjunctions:

1. tlha'a HoD vIHo': HoS, val, vaQ, Duj Doj ra'. vIqIH vIneH.

2. tlha'a HoD vIHo': HoS, val, vaQ 'ej Duj Doj ra'mo' vaj vIqIH vIneH.

I admire Captain Klaa: he is strong, clever, aggressive AND BECAUSE he
commands an impressive ship SO I want to meet him (full stop).

(the SO part sounds weird in english but is okay in klingon)

I wasn't thinking of the {Duj Doj ra'} part as being separate from the {HoS, val, vaQ} part. As I was saying, I just mashed them together because they were all part of a single idea: listing Captain Klaa's admirable qualities, including the commanding of an impressive ship. If I were to punctuate the way you presented it, I'd use:

   tlha'a HoD vIHo: HoS, val, vaQ. Duj Doj ra'mo' vIqIH vIneH.

The first idea: I admire Captain Klaa, and here's why. Second idea: I want to meet him because he commands an impressive ship. Together, this means something different than what I originally said.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/