tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 01 12:42:23 2014

[Tlhingan-hol] Too short (was: ghargh Doq HoD je -- loSDIch)

SuStel ([email protected])

On 7/1/2014 3:08 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:

Well, it's your story and I agree that Klingon works better in
shorter sentences than English. But sometimes they can be too short.

I agree with this. Some people think that one-word sentences are the epitome of style in Klingon, but I disagree.

Klingon can flow just as smoothly as English, but by mashing together words and sentences rather than by stringing together subordinate clauses and employing conjunctions. Sometimes it's just a matter of adjusting the punctuation to get across the flow.

For instance, instead of

   tlha'a HoD vIHo'. HoS. val. vaQ. Duj Doj ra'. vIqIH vIneH.

which sounds like you're pondering each word as you say it

   I admire Captain Klaa (full stop). He is strong (full stop). He is
   clever (full stop). He is aggressive (full stop). He commands an
   impressive ship (full stop). I want to meet him (full stop).

you should put full stops around IDEAS:

   tlha'a HoD vIHo': HoS, val, vaQ, Duj Doj ra'. vIqIH vIneH.

   I admire Captain Klaa: he is strong, clever, aggressive, he commands
   an impressive ship (full stop). I want to meet him (full stop).

When spoken aloud, the above has a pause where the colon is, but it doesn't sound like you're finished with an idea. The commas are slight pauses, but leading into the next word. Only at the periods do you finish your idea and rest.

Remember also the sequence {beyHom bey bey'a'} meaning "roar in a great crecendo." I don't think this is a lexicalized item; I think it is an example of shoving words together to effectively express an idea.

Now, we usually end up applying English tone and stress to Klingon sentences, simply because we don't have a lot of examples of or information about native Klingon tones and stress. If you listen to Kruge, Klaa, Vixis, or even Valkris, you don't hear them pausing after every formal sentence (HablI' Su' labbeH = HablI': Su'! labbeH! = "Data transceiving device (the addressee): I'm about to give a command! Prepare to transmit!") The only exception I can think of is the very odd few words of Klingon spoken by Chang during Kirk and McCoy's trial.

So: use small FORMAL sentences, but group them into single ideas.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/