tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 01 12:08:06 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] ghargh Doq HoD je -- loSDIch

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> Is it really crucial to the story that you need measurements out to two
>> decimal points?  I know that Okrand says that "a Klingon ... is never
>> approximate" but this is a story, not a technical manual.  I'd use the
>> closest Klingon measurement; if necessary, rounding up.  E.g.

quljIb:
> Point made, however I do have at my disposal the Mountain's *exact*
> measurements.  In particular the sword is *explicitly* mentioned as being
> 64 inches long.

And is this important in the story?  I.e. does he win (or loose) because his sword is 4 inches longer than his adversary's?

> >> {tIqqu' HoD.  jav vI' wa' 'uj 'aD.  'ej tIqqu' yanDaj.  loS vI' jav
> >>  loS 'uj 'aD yan.}
> >> "The Mountain was very tall.  6.1 ujs (seven feet) tall.  And his
> >>  sword was very long.  4.64 ujs (64 inches) long."
>
>> I'd combine some of these short sentences (and round up the measurements):
>>
>>    tIqqu' HoD; jav 'uj(mey) 'aD. 'ej tIqqu' je yanDaj: vagh 'uj.
>>    the mountain was very tall, measuring 6 ujs.  And his sword
>>    was quite long too: 5 ujs.
>>
>> I generally omit {-mey} on nouns after numbers.  Seems redundant. YMMV.
>
> Wasn't too sure about combining sentences.  As I've noted earlier,
> {tlhIngan Hol} seems to work best in short, choppy sentences.  But if the
> Ca'Non Master says so...

Well, it's your story and I agree that Klingon works better in shorter sentences than English.  But sometimes they can be too short.  (Are these song lyrics that have to fit the music?)

> >> {'ughqu' HoD.  Hut vI' wej cheb'a' ngI'.  'ej 'ughqu'  yanDaj.
> >>    Cha' vI' vagh cheb ngI' yan.}
> >> "The Mountain was massive.  He weighed 9.3 cheb'a's (approx. 420-430
> >>  lbs) And his sword was massive.  It weighed 2.5 chebs (12-13 lbs)."
>>
>>    'ughqu' HoD; Hut cheb'a'(mey) ngI'. 'ej 'ughqu' yanDaj je: wej cheb.
>>
> >> {'ej 'ughqu' may'luchDaj. mIv je DaS tuQ HoD 'ej wamaH cheb ngI' HoD
> >>    mayluch'e'}
> >> "And his armour was massive. He wore full armour, which weighed 10 chebs (50 lbs)"
>>
>>    'ej 'ughqu' may'luchDaj.  mIv je DaS tuQ HoD; wa'maH cheb(mey) ngI'.

quljIb:
> >>   {'ach Hod yan tIq puS, ghargh ghIntaq tIq law'}
> >>  "But for all the Mountains sword was long, the Viper's spear was longer."

Voragh:
>> AFAIK you can't reverse the order of {law'} and {puS}.  The {law'}
>> element comes first:
>>
>>    'ach ghargh ghIntaq tIq law' HoD yan tIq puS.

quljIb:
> "If one state of affairs in not inherently better or worse than its
> opposite, terms may occur in either order." (KGT 179)

But that applies for word play variations, i.e. using antonyms other than {law'} and {puS}.  KGT continues:

  Once again comparing the brave Klingon and the not-so-brave Ferengi:

     tlhIngan yoH jen verengan yoH 'eS or
     tlhIngan yoH 'eS verengan yoH jen
      (jen, "be high"; 'eS, "be low")

     tlhIngan yoH ghegh verengan yoH Hab or
     tlhIngan yoH Hab verengan yoH ghegh
      (ghegh, "be rough"; Hab, "be smooth")

    Some conditions, on the other hand, are more highly regarded than others.
  In those instances, it is essential to get the terms in the correct order.
  For example, among Klingons, a task that is difficult ({Qatlh}) is more
  highly valued than one that is easy ({ngeD}). Accordingly, in these creative
  comparative and superlative constructions, {Qatlh} is associated with the
  quality that is "many" and {ngeD} with the quality that is "few." To say
  "The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi," one would have to say {tlhIngan
  yoH Qatlh verengan yoH ngeD}. Reversing the order of {Qatlh} and {ngeD}
  would produce the phrase {tlhIngan yoH ngeD verengan yoH Qatlh}, which,
  if interpretable at all, would mean "The Klingon is less brave than
  the Ferengi." Even if one really meant it, uttering such a phrase could
  lead to unfortunate consequences.

Before this paragraph, Okrand reviews basic the {law'/puS} formula (KGT 179):

   Another kind of bending of the grammar involves the comparative
   construction--that is, the way to say that something is more or greater
   than something else. In Klingon, this is expressed by a grammatical
   formula: {A Q law' B Q puS}, where A and B are the two items being
   compared as to a specific quality (Q), A having the greater amount of
   this quality (expressed by {law'}, "be many"), B the lesser (expressed
   by {puS}, "be few"):

      tlhIngan yoH law' verengan yoH puS
      ("The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi").

   As a form of word play, antonyms (that is, words with opposite meanings)
   other than {law'} and {puS} are sometimes plugged into the formula. The
   resulting phrases literally make no sense at all, but because of the
   uniqueness of the {law'/puS} phrases within Klingon grammar, they are
   always understood.

> Being longer isn't normally better or worse than being shorter, although
> since in battle length *does* give one an advantage, I can see your
> point.

But Okrand is referring to the substitutes for {law'} and {puS}, not the quality (Q) being compared.  There are also the variant formulas {A Q law' B Q law'} or {A Q puS B Q puS} - both meaning "A is a Q as B" - but *{A Q puS B Q law'} isn't listed.  Apparently "more" is always better than "less".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons