tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 01 07:49:53 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Kickstarter Campaign

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Gaerfindel:
> > Qoypu'DI' wejmaHlogh, taghHa' *Reading Rainbow kickstarter*

ghunchu'wI':
> nuqjatlh?
> "As soon as thirty times has heard it, *RRK* mis-starts."
>
> Are you trying to invoke the idiomatic description of what time it is?
> If so, you have it backwards. It should be {X-logh Qoylu'pu'}. I don't
> know what time "30 o'clock" would be, though. If you just mean "30 hours
> from now", try {wejmaH rep pIq}.
>
> Do you mean the campaign ends? Consider instead {mev}, {rIn}, or (my
> favorite) {Dor}.

HQ 12.2 p8:  Generally, one expresses the end of a stretch of time by using a verb rather than a noun. That is, one says when "the month ends" rather than "at the end of the month". The verb for this kind of end is {Dor}. For example: {DorDI' jar mejpu'} "At the end of the month, he/she left." (Literally, this sentence means "When the month ended, he/she left".) ... When an event over which one has some control ends (one can't cause a month to end), a different verb is used: {van} ... Another verb, {ghang}, is used to express the idea of a premature ending.

Other example sentences:

  tugh Dor qoSlIj. nom yIlop!
  ([untranslated] MO's FaceBook text to Lieven, 3/29/2012)

  Dor
  The End (chapter title; lit. "It ends.") PB

Dor 		end
mev		stop, cease
rIn		be accomplished, be finished

van 		end (an event)