tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 31 06:31:09 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] boqrat

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Here's all I have in my notes:

Stewed *boqrat* liver was served on board the Rotarran. It wasn't fresh, but Jadzia thought it might be palatable with a little bloodwine. (DS9 "Soldiers of the Empire")

"Food made from the liver of a *bok-rat*, apparently cooked to some degree, making it unusual among Klingon foods." (Keith R.A. DeCandido's 2001 novel _Diplomatic Implausibility_)

HQ 13.1 p.8:  *bokrat* liver is typically served hot in a stew

  ghun 'Iw HIq, rap boqrat chej
  the *bokrat* liver is as warm as the bloodwine (HQ 13.1)

KGT 93:  Some dishes are prepared by heating meat in a liquid consisting of the animal's blood along with some choice condiments. To prepare food in this way is to {Qev} it. Livers of *bokrats* are typically prepared in this manner. Though the dish is heated, in order to properly make {boqrat chej Qevlu'pu'bogh} (stewed *bokrat* liver; literally, "*bokrat* liver that has been stewed"), the livers should be from an animal that was killed only minutes before. The difference in flavor between fresh and nearly stale livers is most noticeable.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Felix Malmenbeck:
> Going by my notes, bokrat only seem to be mentioned when talking about
> Klingons eating bokrat liver, so I don't think we know much about it. It
> appears to be an animal found in the Klingon Empire, so even if it's rat-
> like, the name would likely just be a coincidence.

Lieven:
> >> Today I stumbled over an article in memory alpha about an animal,
> >> which I always thought it was a klingon one: {boqrat} Since it looks
> >> so much "Klingon", I had never thought of the idea that it might be a
> >> rat! A "bok-rat". I'm a little confused, because if that is true, it
> >> makes it look like when when the Klingon word was created, the
> >> creator did not thinkt about the fact that this might be a "rat"...
> >> And next, does {rat} mean "rat"? I doubt it and would like to think
> >> about it as the "bokrat", which is NOT a rat... (??)
> >>
> >> FYI:
> >> the word is listed in KGT, and also in the glossary to Diplomatic
> >> Implausability.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have more information?

De'vID: